Alopecia UK

News Media About us

Donate

Getting involvedAbout alopeciaSupport & adviceTreatments & wigsResourcesForum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This discussion forum has been designed to allow you to connect with others, relieve feelings of isolation, share experiences, chat about day-to-day challenges and learn more about alopecia on a peer-to-peer support level.

Experiences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HTray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HTray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experiences
    Posted: 19/January/2017 at 12:52am
I'm posting here because this forum seems to be active. Even though theres not a lot of posts, I can see how many people are looking at each section, thats better than any other alopecia forum I've looked at. Bottom line is that I think I've found something that works and I'd really like someone else to try it so I KNOW it works and I'm not just in a regrowth period and my hair will start falling out again. I'll post what I'm doing in the treatment section and link back to this post, unless someone tells me a better place to put it. So this is my story...
   8 yrs ago I hit my head on a pipe in someones basement, it got infected but eventually healed up. When it did, I noticed the hair was gone from that area. Didn't think a lot about it though, until a few weeks later a bald spot on the opposite side of my head appeared.  In a few months, both spots filled in, but no sooner than they did, 2 new ones appeared and were bigger than the original spots. Thats when I went to the doctor and found out what I had (alopecia areata) Each cycle was worse than the one before and over the last 8 yrs I tried everything, and I do mean everything! Home remedies suck. The 2 things that seemed to help, and keep in mind I said SEEMED TO. Because of the way it cycled, I'm just not sure. Anyway, injections of triamcinolone acetonide and the topical (liquid) clobetasol propionate.  The shots seemed to stop the hair from falling out and the liquid helped with the itching (like being under a heat lamp that you cant get away from).
    After a couple years I quit fighting it, but like I said, each cycle was worse that the one before. About a year ago, when the cycle should have ended, it didn't, in fact, it started falling out faster, by last August I had lost over 60% of the hair on my head, one eyebrow and a large patch on each arm. I had read about a product called Xeljanz that cured a guy in a couple months and I had decided I was going to beg my dermatologist to write me a prescription. Then I found out it would cost $2500 a month (thats dollars not pounds....yes...I am, sorry lol) so that was out.
    I'll finish tomorrow in the treatment forum
Sponsored Links
False

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic